AESS Conference Chair
for questions related to proposals and sessions
American University Site Coordinator
for questions related to venue, lodging, and local transportation
AESS Managing Director
for questions related to sponsorship, exhibiting, registration or AESS membership
AU was recently ranked second in the Sierra Club’s annual ranking of greenest colleges and strives to model green practices across our campus. AU has pledged to be carbon neutral by 2020 and has implemented a zero waste management plan. The main campus is an arboretum featuring green roofs, solar panels, urban gardens, an apiary, biofuel transportation, and several new LEED buildings. The AESS conference at American University seeks to model sustainable events by minimizing consumption, offsetting carbon usage, and supporting green businesses.
AESS 2018 has committed to the following Green Initiatives
- Providing only vegetarian meals, with an emphasis on local sourcing.
- Reducing waste through:
- Use of digital program
- Use of compostable or reusable plates, napkins, and utensils
- Not offering boxed meals
- Donating unused food from buffets
- Limiting amount of swag (Please bring your own name tag holder/lanyard and bag)
- Collaborating with AU’s office of sustainability.
- Reducing food waste by collaborating with AU Catering, which has an active compost and food donation program. Learn more.
- Reducing plastic waste by:
- Asking all participants to bring their own reusable water bottles.
- Not offering plastic bottles or food in plastic containers at meals.
- Requesting that caterers reduce plastic packaging, when possible.
- Encouraging environmental education through:
- Including an AU sustainability tour in our field trip options.
Lodging and Travel Details
- Single and Double occupancy rooms are available
- Rooms include free wifi, access to fitness facilities, linens and towel
- Co-ed rooms available
- Extend your stay through Saturday, June 23. Rooms are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Single $90/night
- Double $75/night
AESS has reserved a block of rooms at the Marriott in Chevy Chase
- Call Marriott reservations the hotel 8:00am-4:30pm EST 301.828.3364 x7000 and mention “AU AESS Conference Room Block”
- Outside business hours, guests can call Marriott Worldwide Reservations 1.800.321.2211
- Book online AESS block*
Reservations are the responsibility of individuals. All reservations must be accompanied by a deposit of first night room and tax or guaranteed with a major credit card individually. Hotel will not hold any reservations unless secured by one of the above methods.
Reservations by attendees must be received on or before May 21, 2018 to guarantee group rates.
Rates (all in USD)
- Standard King Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday $229.00 per night
- Two Queen Beds Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday $229.00 per night
- Standard King Friday $119.00
- Two Queen Beds Friday $119.00
All rates are subject to applicable state and local taxes (currently 6% state tax and 7% county tax) in effect at the time of check in. A valid Tax Exempt Certificate for the State of Maryland and/or the County of Montgomery County, Maryland must be provided to the hotel in order to be exempt from these taxes.
*Please note that this block contains a split rate. The group rate Tuesday June 19, 2018 – Thursday June 21, 2018 is $229 plus tax, per night. The group rate on Friday June 22, 2018 is $119 plus tax. Please note, when booking your reservation online the higher rate of $229 will be displayed for all four nights. Once you complete your reservation, a member of the sales department will manually adjust the last night to $119. Unfortunately Marriott is only able to enter one rate in their reservations system. Rest assured Marriott will change Friday’s night stay to the negotiated group rate and send an updated email confirmation to each guests.
Due to the nature of parking and driving in Washington, DC plus events on campus that will increase traffic volume and decrease availability of parking on site, American University strongly encourages guests to consider alternate options such as public transportation, car share, or car for hire (e.g. Uber, Lyft, Taxi services).
Public transportation is available via metro rail and bus.
Parking can be purchased onsite in the AU visitor parking lot beneath the School of International Service Building. The entrance is off Nebraska Avenue.
DC is home to several bike rental options:
We are proud to report that AESS 2018 will feature balanced, all-vegetarian entrees and sides for our breakfast, lunches and receptions.
- Lunch will be available for purchase Weds-Fri, with alternate dining options on- and off-campus; Sat lunch is included with full registration or Saturday single day rate.
- Breakfast will be provided on Thursday and Saturday. Light snacks will be available Friday morning.
- Coffee and tea breaks will occur in the morning and afternoon Thursday-Saturday plus during pre-conference workshops.
- Wednesday Opening Reception included with full registration.
- Friday Awards Reception included with full registration and Friday single day rate.