Many of us are unfamiliar with virtual conferences in general and Pheedloop in particular. A few notes about what to expect in the conference sessions:
The presentations for presentation panels are pre-recorded and will be available by July 13. We expect you to watch the presentations before the session. The session itself will consist of live (synchronous) Q&A with the presenters. (Discussion symposia and workshops will not include pre-recorded presentations.)
From now until July 15, please avail yourself of the following support options:
- check FAQs on this page
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- view PheedLoop knowledgebase
- view Zoom support pages
During the live portions July 15-17, please utilize the help chat feature in the virtual portal for prompt responses. For less urgent matters, please use one of the following options above.
Thank you for registering for the AESS 2020 Low-Carbon Conference. You can find the full schedule here.
Although Pheedloop integrates with Zoom, you won’t have all the Zoom functionality in our sessions.
- During the session, you’ll see the speaker and yourself (in a smaller window). You won’t have the gallery view available on Zoom, and you won’t be visible to the panelists unless you’re speaking.
- Therefore, we will use the chat window for questions. You can post questions in the chat window before the event.
The format for concurrent sessions is for your audience to watch your pre-recorded presentations before the session (if applicable). The session itself will be devoted to live Q&A and discussion with the audience using the chat window. Please note that questions can also be posted in the chat window before the event begins.
What we need from you:
- Register for the conference. All participants are expected to register. (https://aessconference.org/registration/)
If you are a full/individual panel presenter:
- You should create a recording (Mp4 file) of your presentation. Please note that files must be under 500 mb. You should consult with your chair about the length of the presentation, but we anticipate that most presentations will be 10-15 minutes.
- If you’re new to making recorded presentations, these instructional videos show you how:
- Upload your video to this folder by July 3, using the following naming convention: Session # Name Title (Example: A1-1 Smith My Talk – you can find the full schedule here including your session number)
- We need the videos by July 3 in order to make them available for viewing by July 13.
Session chairs and poster presenters have separate instructions.
If you would like to make any changes to your title, abstract, or speaker profile, you may do so at any time in your Pheedloop speaker portal.
Questions? Contact email@example.com
We are excited to introduce you to the virtual poster session at the AESS 2020 Low-Carbon Conference. We have created a unique poster showcase profile for you, and we want to introduce you to your private poster showcase portal where you will manage your poster presentation details. This portal is separate from the conference virtual event portal and your speaker portal. We strongly suggest that you bookmark your poster showcase portal login page.
Save your poster presentation in this portal in one of the following formats:
- File: this can be a single image of your presentation, a powerpoint with multiple slides, etc.
- Link: this can be a link to your website, a published google doc (public viewable only), etc.
- Video: copy/paste a link to YouTube if you prefer to save your presentation on this platform.
Note: this portal will have extra features that you do NOT need to worry about. Please ignore the following areas:
- Lead retrieval, managers and tickets, products and services, purchases and contracts
- You do NOT need to upload any logos/images under edit design, though you are welcome to customize this area to your liking if you wish.
During the poster session July 16 (2:30-3:30 eastern/1:30-2:30 central/11:30-12:30 pacific), you will log into the AESS Virtual Event portal and go to the “Posters” area. Here, you can select your presentation and see who shows up to review your work or ask you a question. For more details please review this troubleshooting guide with screenshots.
Outside of the poster presentation time, you will still be able to interact with attendees who view your poster presentation. You will see private messages in the networking/chats area as well as messages in your poster presentation page. We hope that you will also take time to attend other live Q&A sessions and interact with other speakers.
For a broad overview of how this will look and function, please view this support video. For help uploading files, please skip to the 3:00 minute mark.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you received a notice that your presentation was too large, please choose one of the following options:
- Upload to YouTube and submit the URL for the video to AESS. Videos can remain unlisted.
- Upload the video to Vimeo and submit the iframe link for the video to AESS.
- Condense the video file so it is below 500MB. You can do this several ways.
Please upload a new video or a word doc with the URL by COB July 10, 2020.
Sign into the virtual portal. Search for your session using the left sidebar. Click on the session title (e.g. A2-1). Scroll down below the media container asking for a captcha to find your individual presentation title. Click on it to view your recorded presentation.
You must know the session name (e.g B1-2). If you’re unsure, check the master schedule.
The conference will be have both asynchronous elements and live discussions. All individual and poster presentation recordings will be uploaded by Monday, July 13. Attendees are encouraged to view presentations for any session they wish to attend during the live Q&A/discussions scheduled July 15-17. These discussions will take place on the virtual portal using zoom software. Attendees will engage and interact with each other during the live sessions plus by using chat board. Please review the virtual portal instructions and become familiar with the software prior to your live sessions.
Before emailing, try the following steps first:
- Go to https://pheedloop.com/aess2020/site/speakers/
- Search for your name (or a co-presenter’s name)
- Click on your profile
- Choose your presentation title, click on it
- You will see the parent session name, date, and time (all times on this ^ website are EDT)
Good news! Because of this platform and our setup, all presentation recordings will remain available to attendees post-event for 3 months.
If you cannot attend but still wish to engage, you will have the option to ask questions using the session chat feature or sending presenters a private message. In this way, attendees can review many more presentations than a typical event and engage with each other for months to come.
AESS does not own presentations and will not distribute or use presentations without express consent of the author. Attendees who wish to use or share presentations outside of the event must obtain permission from the original presenters/authors.
First – thank you for your support and membership!
If you recently registered as a student member, your membership is activated upon verification of your student status. Please email email@example.com to complete this step. Welcome to AESS!
If you are not a dues-paying member with an account at aessonline.org, you will not see a code. We invite you to join!
Most of the time this is because your bank is declining your card. Call your bank and tell them the charge is approved from you. If this does not work, email firstname.lastname@example.org and request an invoice in the amount of your registration. We will invoice you via Square. Turn-around time for this is 1 business day.
To participate in the live Q & A sessions, you must have the following capabilities:
- A device that has a web browser that supports plugins and scripts for chats and videos. If you can’t access zoom from it or view videos, it won’t be a good fit for our live session portion.
- Google Chrome is the recommended browser by our software provider.
- A microphone OR the ability to type in questions to the chat box.
To merely view and browse session descriptions and speakers, you are welcome to use the event website https://pheedloop.com/aess2020/site/home/ on any device that supports web browsing.
You may access the virtual portal via tablet and smartphones, but you might not enjoy the same capabilities. Notably, you may not see session level public chats, but you may still message speakers at any time by clicking on their profile name.
Please take time to become familiar with the portal before July 15. Questions? email email@example.com.
Sound issues are local issues specific to your device and setup. We recommend the following troubleshooting steps:
- Use Google Chrome. Make sure it is the updated version.
- Be sure you are allowing pop-ups and cookies for PheedLoop.com
- Allow Pheedloop and Zoom to access your audio and video when prompted.
- Restart your browser.
- Restart your machine.
When all else fails, connect to the session via Zoom web by clicking on the “Experiencing Issue? Click here for live stream options” button below the video container in PheedLoop.