Code of Conduct
AESS Conference Code of Conduct 2019
The Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences (AESS) is committed to creating an inclusive environment at its annual meeting that is welcoming, safe, collaborative, supportive, and productive for all attendees, including but not limited to, volunteers, exhibitors, service providers, AESS members, conference participants, speakers, vendors, media representatives, commentators, sponsors, and staff. AESS values the diversity of views, expertise, opinions, backgrounds, and experiences reflected among these attendees. As a community, AESS will not tolerate harassment in any form.
This Code of Conduct outlines AESS’ expectations for all conference attendees, including but not limited to, volunteers, exhibitors, service providers, AESS members, conference participants, speakers, vendors, media representatives, commentators, sponsors, and staff. Cooperation is expected from everyone to ensure these standards are met.
As an AESS conference attendee, you are expected to:
- Treat everyone with respect and consideration.
- Respect the boundaries of other attendees.
- Communicate openly and thoughtfully with others and be considerate of the multitude of views and opinions that are different than your own.
- Be respectful in your discussion and critique of ideas; avoid ad-hominem (personal) attacks on others, both during conference sessions and on social media.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow attendees. Take appropriate action if you notice a potentially troubling or dangerous situation, someone in distress, and/or any form of harassment.
- Avoid potentially offensive behaviour, including but not limited to, sexism, racism, ageism, abuse of power, sexual harassment, and all other forms of discrimination, at all times during the conference.
- Respect the rules, policies, and requests of AESS and of all venues associated with the conference.
- When sharing information about AESS or any conference attendees via public communication channels, share responsibly and clearly distinguish individual opinion from fact.
- Only consume alcohol if of legal age to do so, and consume alcohol responsibly during conference events.