- This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 year ago by Andrew Sullivan.
November 11, 2020 at 10:19 am #6688Andrew SullivanGuest
Catfish and Mandala
A Two-Wheeled Voyage Through the Landscape and Memory of Vietnam
by Andrew X. Pham
- Format: paperback, 344 pages
- Language: english
- Author: Andrew X. Pham
- Places: San Jose, California, San Francisco, California, Tokyo
- Publisher: Picador USA
- Release date: September 2, 2000
- Genres: travel, memoir, asia, biography, history, adventure, autobiography
- ISBN: 9780312267179 (0312267177)
- Awards: Guardian First Book Award Nominee (2000), Oregon Book Award Nominee for Nonfiction (Finalist) (2000), Kiriyama Prize for Nonfiction (1999)
About The Book
Catfish and Mandala is the story of an American odyssey — a solo bicycle voyage around the Pacific Rim to Vietnam — made by a young Vietnamese-American man in pursuit of both his adopted homeland and his forsaken fatherland.
Andrew X. Pham was born in Vietnam and raised in California. His father had been a POW of the Vietcong; his family came to America as “boat people.” Following the suicide of his sister, Pham quit his job, sold all of his possessions, and embarked on a year-long bicycle journey that took him through the Mexican desert, around a thousand-mile loop from Narita to Kyoto in Japan; and, after five months and 2,357 miles, to Saigon, where he finds “nothing familiar in the bombed-out darkness.” In Vietnam, he’s taken for Japanese or Korean by his countrymen, except, of course, by his relatives, who doubt that as a Vietnamese he has the stamina to complete his journey (“Only Westerners can do it”); and in the United States he’s considered anything but American. A vibrant, picaresque memoir written with narrative flair and an eye-opening sense of adventure, Catfish and Mandala is an unforgettable search for cultural identity.
TXT book Catfish and Mandala Andrew X. Pham download on Walmart. Paperback ebook Catfish and Mandala read on Mac. Online Catfish and Mandala PC. Hardcover Catfish and Mandala by Andrew X. Pham buy cheap on IndieBound. PDF ebook Catfish and Mandala.